The first step in understanding the Pilot Shortage is to look at the factors that have created it:
- High Levels of Retirements (pilots turning 65) in Europe, USA, Canada, Australia/NZ…
- Global Aviation Growth alongside economic growth in India, Africa, USA, Asia Pacific, NZ, etc.
- Airplane Technologies (B787, A350) enabling flights between cities never before connected
- Massive Growth of the Gulf Airlines and Turkish Airlines
- New long-range VIP Jets allowing the ultra-rich to cross oceans without a fuel stop
- Massive expansion of Low Cost / Ultra-Low Cost Airlines across the globe
- Very low salaries at the Regionals causing years of low intake levels
- Low Oil Prices increasing airline profits – enabling short-term growth demand
- Introduction of fuel-efficient Regional Turboprops allowing services to smaller towns
- The growth of seaplane infrastructure and efficiencies for popular coastal communities.
Understand the Pilot Shortage Tom East